A long local history
First Evangelical Lutheran Church of Suttons Bay was organized in 1874. It was the original Norwegian Synod congregation in this area of Michigan with the pastor serving, at one time or another, seventeen different communities. The present church building was constructed in 1886 with lumber made from logs donated by members of the congregation. The new entrance was added in 1972. Extensive remodeling was done to the church basement in 1982. The congregation entered into the Merger of 1917 but rejoined the ELS in 1922.
Interested in more information? Download a more in-depth history of First Lutheran Church in PDF format.
What We Believe
Click here for a full doctrinal statement of our beliefs.
Affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS) and Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS).